Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Teaching By Candlelight

Hola mi Familia y Amigos!  :)


Ha ha, try your best to ignore that this photo is upside down. But I had exchanges this week with one of my sister training leaders. That is right, Hermana Juarez, my trainer/ first companion!  :D  LOVE HER!!!


My favorite lesson from this week... oooh it is one of my favorites from my entire mission actually.

We got a reference from the Elders in our District. They were moving into their house and this family helped them figure out where there house actually was and all that good stuff. So finally one of the Elders told us that he thought this family (of 6!) was great, and that they were in our area.

One day we went and knocked on their door... nothing. We returned another day, the Mother answered the door, super busy, and told us to return again Friday. We returned Friday, and she was busy again, and told us to return again that night. We took it more like she didnt want our message. But we actually didnt have a lesson at six that night, so we did return.

We began to talk with her and her daughter, with getting to know them questions and such. And then we started the lesson by singing "Nearer my God to Thee". After we finished the song, the daughter (12 years old), turned to her Mother and exclaimed "Mom, this is the song that was in my Dream! There was a music box playing this song without words, and it was beautiful. I wanted to follow where the music was." 

So obviously we were getting good chills. And then the Mother explained to us that there were a ton of churches and only one God. And we thought, shoot... here we go. The typical I dont think you are right speech. But no, she said, "I think your church is the true church, you are the ones out there sharing the gospel just like Jesus did." More chills.

They dont have a lot of money right now. So they didnt have light in their house. It started to get darker. But right before we began to teach about The First Vision when Joseph Smith saw our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, the daughter lit two candles and put them on the table. And we taught it by candlelight. AH, it was AMAZING!!!

Here are two scriptures that I like relating to the theme of candles and light.

Luke 11:36
"If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light."

Psalms 18:28
"For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness."

Caborca Update:
Maria de la Luz was baptized in Caborca, by her son who is a member. She was baptized on my 9 month mark exactly!  :)

My favorite lesson that we had with her is when she had doubts about Baptism and lacked a little confidence in herself.

I took out some paper and I drew a stick figure (fine art isnt my talent) of a woman. I drew that potential was just flowing out of her! BUT that sometimes we put bars or limitations of our potencial, sometimes we even let others put these bars of our potentical. But that we have the power to remove these bars also. And once again our potencial is limitless. If it is something that God wants us to have, he will always be our partner to obtain these worthy goals. She is SO sweet! It was hard to say goodbye to her when I left Caborca.


And here is her Baptism Day with her son.  :D


And... General Conference Weekend this week!!! OOH, watch it ALL, you wont regret it.

Love Always,
                      Hermana Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment